Tips to help you make a smooth move…
Having moved recently myself, I know this can be a stressful time and it’s easy to forget
what to do next. Here are some helpful tips:
- Post Office: Change forwarding address online, click here!
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards Subscriptions: Notice usually requires several weeks.
- Banks: Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city
- Insurance: -Notify new location for coverage: Life, health, fire, auto.
- Automobile registration: Transfer of car title registration is necessary; also driver’s license; emissions test; motor club membership.
- Utility Companies: Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations):
- Water Gas
- Telephone and or Cell phone
- Cable/Satellite and internet
- Water/Sewer Trash Collection
- Update Voter registration.
- Route Services: paper, mild delivery, changeover of services School Records;
- Ask for copies of transfer of children’s records. Medical, Dental;
- Ask Doctor and Dentist for referrals; transfer needed Prescription Histories prescriptions, eyeglasses, x-rays.
- Church Club: Transfer memberships, get letter of introduction.
- Pets: Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
- Don’t forget to: Empty freezer, plan use of foods Defrost freezer-refrigerator, Place charcoal to dispel odors.
- Obtain birth records and baptism records of all children
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them moving wrapped
- Check with your Movers regarding insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and tie of expected payment Plan for special care needs of infants.
- On moving day… Carry currency, jewelry, documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Carry cash for quick available funds.
- Let close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all old keys needed with your realtor.
You can also call Pat directly at 919-280-4567 for immediate response.